Cheat Day Meals
- 1 pound ribeye steak, thinly sliced (preferably frozen for easier slicing)
- 4 soft Italian-style hoagie rolls
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Cheez Whiz or provolone cheese, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Optional: hot peppers
1. Prepare the Rolls:
- If your hoagie rolls aren't soft, you can briefly warm them in the oven to make them more pliable.
2. Cook the Steak and Onions:
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add a splash of olive oil to the hot skillet and add the thinly sliced onions. Sauté them until they are translucent and slightly caramelized. Push them to the side of the skillet.
3. Cook the Steak:
- In the same skillet, add the thinly sliced ribeye steak. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a spatula, chop and stir the steak as it cooks. Try to create small, fine pieces of steak. Cook until the steak is browned and cooked through. This should take just a few minutes.
4. Assemble the Cheesesteak:
- Once the steak is cooked, mix it together with the sautéed onions in the skillet. Pile the mixture to one side of the skillet.
5. Add the Cheese:
- Lay slices of Cheez Whiz or provolone cheese over the steak and onion mixture. Let the heat of the steak melt the cheese slightly.
6. Assemble and Serve:
- Using a spatula, scoop the cheesy steak and onion mixture onto the hoagie rolls.
- If you like, you can add hot peppers or other optional toppings at this point.
- Serve your authentic Philly Cheesesteaks immediately. They're meant to be enjoyed hot and gooey!